In India, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has established a department called the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, which is the full meaning of FSSAI. As the name suggests, the full form of FSSAI is the Food Safety and Standards Authority and it is a place to check the quality and standard of food being manufactured, sold, or handled in India.
When FSSAI started they had the authority to monitor the nutritional content and hence they did the duty of protecting consumers from consumption of toxic or hazardous food.
This is also the biggest authority under the government of India that guarantees that the Food Business Operators (FBOs) are strictly following food-related laws.
What is an FSSAI food License?
When it comes to food, the health of the public is at stake. Sometimes, there could be toxic or hazardous elements in our food which could be a risk for people’s health. Therefore, it is of utmost importance to control the food business practice by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
For efficient regulation, the ministry has appointed some offices of the FSSAI. They check the proper regulations and meeting of food standards and are placed all across India. Therefore, every small or large food business in India has to get permission from the FSSAI. This is to make sure that their business having a potential impact on the health of hundreds of people is safely monitored.
The FSSAI license or the food license is, therefore, permission from FSSAI to work in the food industry.
Get your FSSAI Registration and License
The numerous benefits of gaining an FSSAI license include the following –
- Legal Advantage: Before getting into the food industry, the cost of getting your license is less as compared to potentially paying large penalties in case you get caught later for not following the law prescribed.
- Using FSSAI Mark: Good food is certified with the help of an FSSAI mark. You can see this logo on almost 90% of the food products that are sold in supermarkets. The only food material that is out of the coverage of the FSSAI is seafood and grains that come from farmers. One can use this mark to build credibility in the market.
- Business expansion and finances: If you plan on increasing your business with time in different states or even need a bank loan for the same, it is extremely convenient to do it with an FSSAI license.
- Consumer awareness: This lets your consumer know that the food that you are producing/handling or selling is of the highest quality and is also approved by the government. And thus this builds trust in your customers. Additionally, even if you are a small restaurant owner or a larger company like Britannia, it is easy to operate with a license. We are already aware of the time when Maggi lost its reputation in the market. The license of manufacture was suspended for a time period until the investigation was completed.
- Avoiding penalties: It is important to understand that the aim of the FSSAI is to make sure the consumption of food by the public is safe and of good quality. The FSSAI has also developed a number of laboratories across the country to test the nutritional values of food particles. At any point in time, your organization can be checked randomly and if it is found to be operating without a license, heavy penalties are imposed on the business.
Due to the above reasons, it is extremely important to register your food business with the FSSAI to gain consumer confidence.